Looking for my EntreCard drop list? Just click on the button.

4.27.2009

Cleaned my MAF sensor on my 99 Honda Passport

.

My check engine light goes on and off almost every day and the error code is P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2). I already have the Oxygen sensors replaced (4 of them) a couple of months ago. The Check Engine light cleared for a few days but since then it decided to be a disco light for me (on and off).

Here's my first stab on cleaning my Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.

This is the air filter area. The MAF sensor is located on the left of the filter box (silver-black-silver thing).

Loosen this screw so you can detach the air filter cover.

Here's another picture.

Unplug the MAF connector (as shown below)
The connector is located here.

Remove the 4 screws using the Torx screw/bit. I also removed the rubber connector to clean it. It may not be necessary to remove it though.

Top view of the torx bit (I believe this is what it's called -torx). Sorry, the picture is not that clear.

Here's a side view of the torx bit.

Here's the removed part. I sprayed some MAF sensor cleaner on it. I bought it from Pepboys for $7.99.

CAUTION: Do not touch the MAF sensors. I've read on the Planetisuzoo.com forum that these are very fragile and expensive to replace if you broke them. So again, please DO NOT TOUCH. Just spray the MAF cleaner on them.

I only pressed the MAF cleaner spray lightly as I am too afraid to break the sensors.

Another view of the MAF sensors.

I just took a couple more pictures to show the disassembled area.

Another view.

Let the MAF dry after spraying it with the cleaner. Re-assemble it back by following the reverse order of the pictures.

It's been two days and I haven't seen the CEL on. I'm hoping this will clear out my Check Engine light for good.

6 comments

Mass Air Flow Sensor said...

It's really true that we should not touch the mass air flow because it's very sensitive and easily breakable. I touched my MAF and it broke on me. :( It really costed me a big amount of money.

Air Intake Kits said...

With the MAF being very sensitive, working on it must be handled carefully. I don't touch things in my car to which I have very few knowledge about it.

Anonymous said...

the pics are gone! :(

Regent Honda said...

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I think that strategy is sound and can be easily replicable.Great posts. I love this article. Regent honda is an authorized Honda dealer with largest showroom and highly professional staff offering honda Jazz, honda amaze booking for test drive and Honda car on road price in thane, India.

Deba Sheesh said...

Thanks, You wrote awesome, I have learn lots of things from your article. It's really helpful for any readers.
Battery Operated Flow Meter

Deba Sheesh said...

Good content, I trust this is a good weblog about Wish to see refreshing content material next time. Thanks for sharing this publish with us.Battery Operated Ultrasonic Level Sensor

Post a Comment

  • Site Build It!
 

Visitors