Looking for my EntreCard drop list? Just click on the button.

8.27.2010

Save $31,000

.

I've been saving this article for about six months now because it's about car maintenance. The title of the article is "Drive Your Car to Death, You'll Save $31,000." I got the article from The Women's Journal magazine/paper while I was waiting for my turn at the doctor's office. The actual article can be viewed online using this link.

As I read through, this savings estimate came from Consumer Reports Magazine. It says that if you keep your car for 15 years, or about 225,000 miles of driving, you could save yourself nearly $31,000. This figure was compared to the cost of buying an identical model car every 5 years.


The article also points out that the key to keep your car running well beyond 100,000 miles is regular scheduled maintenance. The following should be followed:

  • Change engine oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles (stop-and-go driving) or 5,000 miles (mostly highway driving)
  • Flush the transmission and drive train fluids every 30,000 miles
  • Flush the cooling system every 30,000 miles
  • Change the fuel filter every 30,000 miles
  • Change the air filter every 12-15,000 miles
  • Replace oxygen sensors every 90,000 miles
  • Replace spark plugs and plug wires when recommended by manufacturer
  • Replace timing belt every 60,000 miles
I think you will be saving more if you keep your car instead of buying a new one because you don't have to worry about car payments anymore after paying off your car.

I'm planning to drive both my cars to death. One is nearing 130,000 miles (12 years) while the other is at 90,000 miles (8 years). Both of my cars are still running fine and I just hope both will reach 225,000 miles.

1 comment

Air Intake Kits said...

If we're talking about savings, I'm in. It's important you look unto your car. Taking care of it eventually will make its lifespan longer and there's much cash to save up.

Post a Comment

  • Site Build It!
 

Visitors